Sunday 11 March 2012

Sew Cinematic Plans

I am SO excited about the 'That's Sew Cinematic' Challenge that's going to be running over the next few months. In case you haven't heard about it all the details can be found here. I am a big film lover, especially if there are some decent costumes involved, and it is a wonderful resource to be inspired by in sewing so I am very grateful to the five lovely blogging ladies for providing us with the impetuous to go for it! The challenge is to make garments and accessories inspired by film costumes. There are various categories to get you thinking and you can make items from all or just one if you wish. After much scouring of my DVD collection and the internet I think i've got some rough plans worked out. Some of these may happen. Some of these may not. But here's the ideas:

FROCKS FROM THE FLICKS


The first thought that sprang to mind when I found out about the challenge was of course the beautiful Audrey Hepburn. There are unlimited choices of outfits to mimic from her wide range of films and as you will see a fair few have made it through the cut! First up a classic little black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's very easy to get carried away with this challenge and make up a whole load of garments which would look fantastic on the big screen but a little too much in real life. I really wanted to pick items which I would actually wear time and time again and the little black dress is definitely one of these. I actually have a pattern for making a replica of this dress in my Famous Frocks book so this was an easy number to choose! The pattern gives you the option of including the fringing at the hem or going for a more casual look and I'm still undecided.

The second Audrey dress is a little more outrageous in it's design so I think this option may be used as inspiration rather than an exact copy. I'm not really a pink wearing kinda lady but I absolutely LOVE the shape and the bow around the waist and am tempted to go for the pink anyway! I'm hoping to find some really amazing and unusual fabric to make this out of so I might make it a real stand out party dress.


I completely loved the costumes in An Education. They played such a key role in the story showing the development of Jenny (Carey Mulligan) as a person and the changes in her life, but firstly I loved them because they were just so gorgeous! These are my two knock out favourites and I just can't choose between them. The pleated excess fabric at the hip of the first is such a lovely detail providing shape to the dress and the neckline of the second really appeals to me. I think I will use them as inspiration to create a floral print dress from a pattern of the period.

TINSELTOWN TOPPERS


I am a big big fan of the 1960s look of Brigitte Bardot so really wanted to include something of hers in here. I want to make some simple every day wear items out of this challenge too and I think this top is perfect. Stripy tops are something everyone's wardrobe needs, I wear them with jeans or tucked into a skirt and I think this one could become a mainstay. Brigitte wears hers with a pencil skirt and cardigan and this is definitely a look I want to try. I think the original top is a stretchy knit but the neckline and lack of sleeves made me think of the Colette Sorbetto so I think I'm going to go with a printed cotton version of that pattern minus the centre front pleat. Simple yet classic.


Grace Kelly is another icon of the classic and elegant look. I absolutely love her beach look in to Catch a Thief (so uneccesarily glamourous for sand!) and the top right blouse from Rear Window is a similar halter neck style. I've had this pattern pinned on Pinterest for ages and would really like to give it a try to create this Grace Kelly look. I don't actually own the pattern but it looks fairly simple to work out! I'd like to make a few versions in some different fabrics and play around with it a bit to get variations in sleeve length e.t.c. I'm not sure how practical it would be to wear but we'll soon find out.


These images from the carnival scene in Grease I have posted for a couple of reasons. One being Marty's yellow halter neck, I'd love that in a similar style for summer and the second being Jan's gorgeous sundress. The sweetheart neckline with wide straps and the button detail is just exquisite on this and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a similar pattern to purchase. Anyone got any ideas? I may just make this up as a blouse but it may become an entry for the previous category because I love that full skirt too much!

FEATURE FILM FOUNDATIONS


In this category we have two very similar entries. I have not attempted to make a pair of trousers/shorts yet and I have heard they can be a bit of a nightmare to fit so I am slightly apprehensive. However if anything is going to make me give it a try it is the prospect of a pair of cropped trousers a la Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina. This is such a classy classic look that always will look polished no matter what the occasion. I'm thinking the Colette Clover pattern could be the way to go here, the instructions that come with Colette patterns are so fantastic through every step of the process I think this could be an ideal make for a first pair of trousers.


Next up a very similar pair of pedal pushers similar to those most of the girls wear in Grease. These would be more fitted and cropped than the previous pair plus have the high waist. I have a pair of bought pedal pushers which I don't love so much as I find it difficult to find a top to pair with them. I love this Grease style look with them but they need the high waist to work, something which trousers produced nowadays just don't have. I love the sunny yellow pair on Cha Cha but think mine might be more along the lines of Rizzo's being dark in colour to make them more versatile to pair. I've also just spotted that Marty is wearing a fairly spectacular dotty pair in the drive in picture! Don't think I could pull them off somehow!

THE SWEATER GIRL


These two images I have included because I wish I wish I wish my knitting skills were better than none and I could make a copy of the iconic yellow sweater from Bonnie and Clyde or this absolutely gorgeous Bardot nautical number. Maybe I could cheat the Bardot by sewing a knit fabric and finding some stripy version for the neckline?


Instead I'm opting for another classic Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffany's look using view C of the Sewaholic Renfrew pattern with the cowl neckline. I think I'd need to make it in a large size and thicker knit than perhaps I would usually opt for for the Renfrew to create that snuggly sweater look but I think it could work.

So that's that for my plans. Well I don't want it to be but I've had to seriously rein myself in with other ideas as that's quite a lot already. Though maybe just one strappy little gingham sundress in the style of Brigitte Bardot in A Very Private Affair wouldn't go amiss....


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I love all your style inspirations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! What a fantastic plan! I adore Audrey Hepburn (she is one of my style icons) and am now madly pinning costume pics from An Education.

    Looking forward to seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.