As well as the bargain price of this pattern the final clincher to me buying it was the discovery of the new remnant bins in Liberty's haberdashery department! Most pieces are 1m offcuts of their tana lawn prints so perfect for a simple little top like this. I'd never normally dream of buying Liberty fabrics but these offcuts are half price and I had a gift voucher to spend so I was able to treat myself to two pieces at £11 each. At by far the most per metre I'd ever spent this did mean I was terrified when cutting into it but it was just beautiful to sew with and I think you can tell the quality of the fabric in the finished make, or at least I can when wearing it!
|Gorgeous Liberty Tana Lawn!|
|The neckline sits at just the right height|
I was worried about the fit of this top and as I could see myself making quite a selection of these in future thought it would be worthwhile making a muslin to get this right. The main reason I was worried about the fit was the lack of darts in a woven top. I've got some boobs so was concerned the fabric below would just hang out from these in a most unflattering way. It turns out I was concerned for no reason and this lady really knows how to construct pattern! There's something about the seam placement that makes everything hang just right and just loose enough in the most flattering way. I think any bigger boobs would call for a FBA but I'm quite happy with it as it is, as long as I remember to choose lightweight fabrics which will drape nicely.
The only part of the construction I had trouble with was the neckband. I got very confused with the instructions and on my muslin ended up with a little strip of bias tape inside the neckline which kept flicking out to the right side and looking most untidy! After some serious studying of other people's makes on the net I realised this band was meant to be stitched down inside so you had a neat visible line of stitching around the neckline from the outside. This, in combination with the softer, lighter fabric of my final make, made a huge improvement and the neckline I now think sits perfectly. I love the shape of the neckline and the little cap sleeves, just the right size too.
|The neckband took a bit of figuring out|
|Lovely cap Sleeves!|
|I'm quite proud of my neat hem so I thought it deserved a picture!|
|Grainline Studio's - Moss Mini-skirt|
I really like the simplicity of Grainline Studio patterns. They've just brought out a new miniskirt pattern which is high on the list for a winter make.
And while we're on independent pattern companies I've been picking up a lot of interest in the French company Deer and Doe. Their patterns are really gorgeous, simple lines with unique details and their international postage rates are very reasonable. I've got my eye on the Belladone dress here!
|Final pic of me wearing the tee at the V&A meet up - picture thanks to Karen at Did You Make That|