Friday 31 October 2014

October Indie Pattern Update!


I've been enjoying a few days off to get some serious fall sewing done and as always have been really inspired by the new pattern releases and your finished garments. Put the kettle on and settle down somewhere comfy to enjoy all the news from the indie sewing pattern world during October!

New Pattern Companies/First Releases!

  • Marilla Walker released her very first pattern the Maya Dress/Top. I've seen a lot of intrigued chatter on social media about this pattern and can't wait to see some made up. Marilla is providing some useful tips and tricks for sewing this pattern on her blog.
  • The very first pattern from Helena at Gray All Day is the Sandpoint Top. It's a knit pattern featuring a cowl back. The testers have made up a nice variety and I particularly like it in chic plain black. Be sure to check out her brand new website too!
  • Kennis from Itch to Stitch released her very first PDF pattern, the Marbella Dress. As well as a wide size range it features options for different cup sizes and some little tricks to make printing and assembling your pattern much easier!

New Patterns

  • Waffle Patterns released the Pepernoot Hooded Coat. It's a really interesting design with a high neck, zip pockets and curved yoke. I love the fabric the sample is made up in!
  • Blue Ginger Doll branched out into knits with the Bonnie Sweatshirt. It has the vintage aesthetic of all their other patterns with options for a cropped length, different necklines and sleeves lengths.
  • The second pattern from Muse Patterns is the Gillian Wrap Dress. I love the way the yoke curves around the shoulders!
  • I am really intrigued by the most recent release from Grainline Studio, the Linden Sweatshirt. I think it could be used to create so many different looks when made up in different weights of fabric.
  • Jennifer Lauren released the Cressida Skirt. It's a cute semi circular skirt with buttons down the front and you can choose from either the single or double 'breasted' button placket.
  • I am so excited about the new pattern from Closet Case Patterns, the Ginger Jeans. I'm really trying to make more garments which I can get a lot of everyday wear out of and with my hands on job I pretty much live in jeans at this time of year. I snapped it up straight away!
  • Colette Patterns' new Dahlia Dress is a bit of a return to their usual aesthetic after branching out into knit patterns recently
  • Alongside a new pattern shop Melissa from Fehr Trade has released a free pattern for a Running Armband Pocket which is the perfect addition to her range of activewear. The idea of sewing some totally different garments is almost enough to get me running...
  • Katy and Laney's most recent release is the Geometry Top. It's got some really unique style lines giving you scope to get creative with fabric combinations and placement.
  • Republique du Chiffon have released a whole collection of new patterns. I really like the look of the Maurice Trousers and the sample version of the Johanna Blouse - it's kind of like a contemporary western shirt with the fringing!
  • Thread Theory released their new PDF menswear pattern just yesterday! Named the Jutland Pants they are a more rugged and relaxed fit than their first trouser pattern (variation 2 features cargo style patch pockets and reinforced patches) and are 15% off until November 5th! A paper version will be available in future.

Upcoming!

  • The second pattern from Kelli at True Bias is on it's way! She's given us a preview of the Sutton Blouse and it's a gorgeous simple blouse with kimono sleeves which I've got a feeling I'm definitely going to be making up. UPDATE! The Sutton Blouse has just been released!
  • Tilly & the Buttons and Pauline Alice have also been hinting on Instagram about new patterns coming really soon. Can't wait for either of those.
  • The next By Hand London pattern is the Kim Dress. I've been lucky enough to test it and it's a real knockout. Make sure to check out their Instagram if you want a peak at the full design! UPDATE! The Kim Dress is available to preorder now at 15% off until Friday 7th November!

Sew-Alongs


Other Exciting News

  • The most recent additions to Sewaholic's expanding collection of PDF patterns are the Minoru Jacket and Crescent and Hollyburn Skirts.
  • Christine Haynes announced that she will also be releasing PDF versions of her patterns. The PDF version of her ever popular Emery Dress is out now!
  • I discovered MIY Collection sewing patterns from Wendy Ward at the Knitting and Stitching Show earlier in the month. I got to have a flick through her new book 'The Beginners Guide to Dressmaking', it's out in November and looks really great.
  • Last but by no means least Jane from Pelly Melly Patterns has just launched an amazing new website 'The Sewing Pattern Directory' which catalogues sewing patterns from indie designers. It is so fantastic to be able to compare similar styles and options in one place. Be warned before you head on over that it's really easy to loose track of time once you start browsing!

As always I'm fairly sure I must have missed a fair few nuggets of information so do let me know in the comments below or shoot me an email and I'll be sure to add it in!

To finish up here's your monthly dose of indie sewing inspiration from other blogs and social media:


  • I am so inspired by Louise's Robson Coat. The fabric she chose is gorgeous on it's own but the addition of the red topstitching and red buttons really turns it into something special.
  • I love Helen from Just Sew Theraputic's purple Chardon Skirt, doesn't it suit her so well?! She chose the perfect fabric to show off those pleats.
  • Dixie says that her version of the Holly Jumpsuit is a bit of a departure from her usual style but I think it totally works for her! That style in the print she chose is so contemporary and stylish.
  • Johanna from Making It Well did such an amazing job of sewing up the La Sylphide Dress in chiffon! Parts of that must have been so tricky!
  • I adore both the fabric Delphine chose and the alterations she made to her Archer Shirt for a boyfriend style fit. So chic!

16 comments:

  1. Found three new patterns I'm interested in and two new blogs to read! I love these posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoorah! I apologise to your bank balance for the new patterns!

      Delete
  2. I love these posts. So handy and inspiration. Although I'm incredibly new to sewing, I'm definitely bookmarking your blog for the future. :) Meg mookaht.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks Meg! Glad to share a bit of sewing inspiration for you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for featuring my Chardon Fiona, I'm in love with this pattern, just cut another one out! Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it. It's super flattering on you!

      Delete
  4. I always wait for your update to make sure that I did not miss any indie pattern activity, thanks for mentioning my Archer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really stunning a chic make so you are so welcome, I love the print you chose!

      Delete
  5. Great update. Many thanks. That Sewing Pattern Directory is particularly an idea of genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it?! So handy to be able to compare patterns side by side without trawling around to look for what you have in mind.

      Delete
  6. These posts are great! Everything I want to know - just here! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you share these monthly updates about indie pattern companies. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Erin, I'm glad you enjoy reading them

      Delete
  8. What a great round-up. Thanks for the new inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I often end up revisiting these posts for ideas and inspiration when I'm having a bit of a sewing slump!

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.