And so we reach the end of another year already! It's been a super busy one within the sewing community and I am amazed at how much the length of this post grows every month with the emergence of new and exciting independent sewing companies and designs. I'm so looking forward to seeing what next year has in store!
On a more personal note I want to thank all of you who have read read my ramblings over the past year, especially for every single kind comment, like and mention both here and on social media. It's been a difficult year for me for a multitude of reasons and, as well being soothed through the rough times by getting lost in a sewing project, the encouragement of you all has been one of the main things that has got me through. Discovering my passion for the solitary activity of sewing has made me feel the opposite of alone in any circumstance. Who could fail to be inspired and motivated by such a vibrant and creative community!
- Lilith & Eve released the LE201 Maxi Dress and Tunic pattern which is available in paper or PDF form. It has two variations very different in style with options for a centre front button placket or exposed zip which I love.
- The Brooklyn Hoodie is new from Skinny Bitch Curvy Chic. It's a classic hoodie design, slim through the body and with a slightly dropped sleeve. The second variation is a longer length which covers the hips.
- Tessuti Fabrics released the Annie Dress which is a loose fitting maxi dress with a front and back flat yoke section which keeps the shape flattering. I'm keeping this on bookmarked for summer!
- Among the new releases from Style Arc this month are the Kaye Tunic and Cameron Dress. December's freebies with any purchase were either the Maris Top or Peta Pant patterns.
- The latest pattern from Colette Patterns is the Phoebe Dress. They've reverted back to their roots with this vintage inspired sheath dress design which includes a double breasted variation.
- Hey June Handmade released the Cheyenne Tunic. I really like the slightly dropped neckline, shed placket and that the pattern will fit up to a D cup. I do already have the Grainline Archer but the second variation of this and the lack of darts means it's been added to my wish list!
- Seamstress Erin released the Achatina Graphic Messenger Bag. The bag comes with five appliqué designs to customise your bag with and there are six appliqué expansion packs available, including one with a sewing a craft theme!
- The latest pattern from Wear Lemonade is the Leia Blouse. It's got some gorgeous details, especially the stunning pleated Pierrot style collar and button back closure.
- Lauren from Baste & Gather released her Birkin Flares pattern. I love the seventies vibe that is everywhere this season so nearly purchased this immediately before remembering that I STILL haven't sewn up my Ginger Jeans which have been cut out for months!
- Another release that has really tempted me to spend my pennies this month is the Yoga Set from Schnittchen. The set includes patterns for relaxed leggings, a tank top and sweatshirt, hard to resist that!
- There have been a number of sweatshirt patterns released over the last few months and I already own a couple but I think the new Paprika Patterns Zircon Sweater & Dress has something new and fun to offer with it's geometric stepped seam line running across the chest; love it.
- The pattern's released with December's Seamwork Magazine were the Brooklyn Skirt and York Blouse. I'm most taken with the half circle shape and deep front pleat of the skirt.
- Hot Patterns added to their ever increasing collection with the 1182 Athleisure Pretzel Sweatshirt and 1199 Fast & Fabulous Halcyon Sweatshirt. Both have unique design features with twist and cross over style fronts which I adore.
- Jennifer Lauren Vintage gave us a free pattern this month! It's a pattern for a Half Pinafore and would have made a lovely Christmas gift, did anyone make any aprons for Christmas?
- The Roxi Dress is the latest pattern from Ralph Pink Patterns. I love it made up in stripes as it is in the sample and the relaxed style of the design. It's available in sizes UK4-22 too!
- Sew This Pattern released the Velo Culottes which I think they've nailed the design proportions of; both the width of the legs and depth of the waistband. I particularly like the tropical short version!
- Kommatia Patterns has launched a flurry of patterns throughout December including designs for a turtleneck top, pencil skirt, midi length knit skirt and body con dress.
- Maria Denmark released the Karen Drape Dress. It's designed for knits and I can see it being flattering on a lot of figures because of the way it drapes across the front.
- There are three new men's patterns available in the Merchant and Mills range including the Tee Shirt, the Foreman Jacket and the All State Shirt. They all follow their classic utilitarian style and have a slightly classic American feel.
- Pauline Alice gave us a free pattern for Christmas! Named the Bailen Top and Dress it's a bias cut came and slip style dress; I can see it being a very versatile classic wardrobe staple made up in a variety of fabrics.
- Patty Doo released the Sophie Oversized Shirt which I'm really drawn to despite not usually being a fan of the slouchy look on my body shape. It has a v-neckline and dropped shoulders with slim sleeves which I think both work to balance the rounded cut.
- Hey June Handmade has been running a sew-along for her new Cheyenne Tunic. If you've never tried sewing a shirt I can vouch for how enjoyable and rewarding sewing all those little details is!
- A sew-along for Baste & Gather's new Birkin Flares is coming soon. Keep an eye out over on the Baste & Gather blog for updates.
- Baste & Gather's Kendall Skinnies pattern is in the testing stages! From what I can gather they are basically going to be a variation on her recently released Birkin Flares, but jeans with a skinny style leg.
Other Exciting News
- Ralph Pink relaunched his website and it's totally renewed my interest in his patterns! I love the clean contemporary look of the site and the fabrics and styling he's used for all his sample garments. I genuinely want to wear every single one!
- Melissa from Fehr Trade has updated her PB Jam Leggings pattern, if you already own the pattern you can download the update for free. I'm tempted to check this one out as I got some great activewear fabrics with last month's Mood Sewing Network allowance and am intrigued by the seemliness on these.
- Fehr Trade patterns also now have free downloadable French and Dutch translations available.
- Pattern Fantastique released an update for their Aeolian Tee pattern. There's a new XS size and a copy shop version if you prefer to print your patterns that way.
- Christine Haynes four new patterns which were released last month with Sew News Magazine are now available in her online store as PDF downloads. Her Rosemary Collar pattern is now available for free too!
- As part of their brilliant advent calendar of offers Named Patterns made their Alva Collar and Neckwear Collection (including a tie and bow tie) free. I think a tie might be my next venture in menswear sewing, no fitting necessary!
Here's some cracking projects from the last month to get you fired up to sew up a storm in January. I wish every single one of you all the best for the year to come. Happy New Year!
- Nettie from Sown Brooklyn's Desmond Backpack looks so professional, practical and stylish. Love the combination of classic fabrics and hardware!
- I was drooling over my keyboard just a little bit when I saw Lauren's Sway Dress made in custom woven fabric. The texture and weight of it is just perfect for that style and I love it layered.
- Another perfect fabric choice was Katie's dress which was hacked from the tee pattern in Marilla Walker's Robert's Collection. The border print rayon from Blackbird Fabrics is just stunning and she's placed it so well. Nineties-tastic.
- I adore the way Bella has used the striped linen for her dress hack of the Inari Tee. It looks like such an infinitely wearable garment and super breezy in the sunshine that I wish I was in right now!
- I'm a big fan of Parks & Rec and love that Ron Swanson is the inspiration behind Adrianna's gorgeous flannel Carolyn Pyjamas. What a great fabric, made for days by a fire in a log cabin don't you think?!