Saturday 30 April 2016

April Indie Pattern Update!


Another month has flown by but it's been another month packed with gorgeous pattern releases! I'm well and truly in the mood for some Spring and Summer sewing now I just wish I had the time and the weather felt the same! What have you guys got planned to sew for the new season?

New Patterns


  • Tilly and the Buttons was hot off the mark this month with the release of the Martha Dress. It's got a gorgeous late sixties vibe to it with the mandarin collar and flared skirt.
  • I'm still really keen to try a Wear Lemonade pattern. This month they released the Lila Skirt which is seventies inspired so of course I love it! It's a wrap around style and I really like the denim version they are selling.
  • The Tailoress released the Ellie Easy-Fit Tank and Crop Top Pattern which features two neckline options, either straps or a classic racer back.
  • Kathleen from Grosgrain Green released a free pattern for the Pinwheel Shorts. They are relaxed fitting and feature tulip style overlaps at the front.
  • Marilla Walker released her Mercury Collection first as a PDF download but now paper copies are available too! I like that a lot of Marilla's patterns include more than one garment, such good value for money. This one features two top variations and two trousers; I love the wide leg style myself.
  • Heather Lou from Closet Case Files might have to be renamed the queen of jeans. After the success of her Ginger Jeans she has just released the Morgan Boyfriend Jeans. They are a slim cut, traditional style designed for non-stretch and selvedge denim. I really need to jump on this jeans making band wagon!
  • Sew Red Edge released a range of trouser print kits. There are four designs all printed on 100% cotton poplin and the fabric is all marked out and ready to cut so you don't have to worry about pattern matching! This style of trouser is one I'd like to try for summer, maybe this would be a good way to start.
  • The latest release from Colette Patterns is the Selene Skirt. It's a modern design with their usual vintage inspired twist with three variations giving you the opportunity to try out various techniques such as welt pockets and a lapped zip. 
  • Jenny from Cashmerette's latest addition to her collection of plus size patterns is the Concord T-Shirt. It's designed for curves and has plenty of options to choose from with three lengths, three necklines, three sleeve lengths and two finishing options for the cuffs.
  • Ann Normandy released the Sleeveless Shift Dress. I love the simplicity of her designs and how beautiful they look in quality natural fibres. This one has been specifically designed for heavy, rustic linens and looks gorgeous in it.
  • Another company that does simple, clean lines really well is the Maker's Atelier. This month they released the Pleat Detail Dress and Top. It's got grown on sleeves and an inverted pleat detail. I particularly like it as a top in the cotton eyelet they've used for the sample.
  • Tessuti added to their line of patterns with the Audrey Shirt. I'm not sure that the tie at the front would suit my body shape, but it looks super chic on their model in solid black.
  • Megan Nielson released the Sudley Dress and Blouse which is very on trend with it's loose fit and key hole neckline which can be work to the front or back. The perfect pattern for a lovely rayon boho print.
  • One of my favourite releases this month and one that will probably be making it's way into my pattern collection soon is the Hannah Dress from Victory Patterns. I love a unique design that looks like it would be challenging and different to sew and there's lots of little details in this that just set it apart.
  • Sew Over It released their Doris Dress as a pattern. It looks like a lovely design for summer, easy to wear with it's fluted, panelled skirt and perfect to showcase a lovely print. They also released a Weekend Bag Kit. It includes everything you need to make a beautiful overnight bag and you have two options of canvas prints to choose from.
  • Blue Prints for Sewing released the Geodesic Sweater which has a tessellating pieced design inspired by the geodesic dome. I imagine you could have great fun colour blocking with this one!
  • One thing still on my never ending sewing to do list is trying out some lingerie making. Make Bra have reminded me of this with their latest release the DL04 Bra. It's an underwired foam bra with two part cups for shape and support and can also be made as a bikini top.

Expansion Packs and Re-Releases



Sew-Alongs




Upcoming!


  • Charlotte Kan is currently testing her next release; the Garconne shirt and dress. It looks like a classic button up to me and I'm liking the look of the simple slim cut of the dress variation.
  • Pauline Alice has three new patterns set for release in May! They're inspired by travel and I really can't wait to see these as I have been loving Pauline's designs of late. I've just made the Rosari skirt and am living in it!
  • Emily from In The Folds is currently testing her next and second pattern. All she's given away so far is that it's a dress wit two variations!
  • After the release of her Mercury Collection Marilla Walker has set straight to work on a summer dress design. 
  • Kennis from Itch to Stitch is currently testing two patterns; the Sirena Dress and Lisbon Cardigan. I love the lace sample she's made of the cardigan and would never have thought to use lace for that type of garment!
  • Christine Haynes hinted at the fact that she has a new pattern coming soon called Lottie; I couldn't work out what type of garment it was going to be though!
  • There sure is a lot of pattern testing going on at the moment which suggests next month could be a big one for pattern releases! Paprika Patterns are also currently testing for a summer trousers pattern called Amber.
  • Jennifer Lauren Vintage has a new pattern called the Hunter Tank coming soon!
  • Schnittchen have hinted at the release of a collection of summer patterns. Eyes peeled on 23rd May!

Other Exciting News


  • Good news for all you menswear sewers who hate taping together PDFs; Thread Theory PDF patterns are now available as copy shop files.
  • Christine Haynes is also now offering all her PDF patterns with copy shop size print options.
  • Deer and Doe updated their Centauree Dress pattern so it now has their new style of packaging and also is more fitted through the waist. 
  • The Wedgwood Skirt and Montlake Tee patterns from Straight Stitch Designs are now available as paper patterns as well as in the original PDF format.

Feel free to add into the comments any news I may have missed. As always here's you're monthly dose of indie sewing inspiration. It was hard to pick just a handful to share this month, there have been so many gorgeous projects catching my eye and making me want to run to my machine/nearest fabric shop!




  • Erin from Miss Crayola Creepy chose the perfect pattern to showcase the amazing fabric she used for her Camden Cape. Look at how the weight of the fabric emphasises the shape!
  • There are Inari Tee Dresses taking over the internet! Liz's is the most recent one to tempt me to take the plunge and make my own. They just look so easy and chic
  • Another instance of perfect fabric and pattern choice. Isn't the print Elena chose perfect for the Fen Dress?
  • Elisalex's ballgown version of her Kim Dress is jaw droppingly beautiful! That fabric! I love her decision to make it ankle length too. It gives it a real classy mid 20th century feel.
  • Does Pauline ever not look super chic? In her Named Isla Trench Coat she is the epitome of that and I was really interested to read the alterations she made to suit her petite frame too.



6 comments:

  1. I always look forward to this monthly post! Lodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Ann Normandy, but I love those simple designs. Tempted to click "buy", but I have to hold off until my chair full of half made things is cleared off. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know that feeling! Every month when I write this and look back over the releases I have to seriously restrain myself by looking at everything I've got waiting to be made!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for another great roundup Fiona, I look forward to these every month :-) The Hannah dress really jumped out at me for its interesting details and construction... So much so that I impulse bought it straight away! I just finished making my version and put it up this afternoon (https://justkeepsewing.net/2016/05/28/hello-bear-hannah/)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Siobhan. The Hannah dress is a stunner isn't it?! I love it when a design is released that isn't just a basic and has really been 'designed' if you get what I mean. Great to be able to make something really unique

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.