Sunday 19 June 2016

Liberty Silk Crepe de Chine Moana Top

In the midst of a particularly crazy time at work a while back I decided to squeeze in a bit of a break in the form of some sewing to ease my tired brain. You might think that in that circumstance a quick, gratifying, no brainer of a project would be in order but no no no I decided to pick a super delicate silk and a new pattern to work with! It actual turned out to be the perfect project as the patience and focus that it required really slowed me down and pushed work stress out of my head for a few hours.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

This is the top version of the Moana Dress from Papercut Patterns which I pounced on along with the Bowline Sweater when it was released earlier in the year. I love these designs which aren't like any other pattern in my collection. They have unique features to construct whilst still retaining clean, wearable lines. I love summer dresses and skirts but the temperamental British summer temperatures combined with the practical nature of my job often sees me in jeans and tees for the majority of it. This year I'm after some interesting tops and this is just the ticket.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

The fabric is a print from this years Spring/Summer collection from Liberty called Spring Silhouette. I'm not usually a Liberty print girl for my clothing but their latest collection has really stepped up it's game in terms of modern, wearable prints and I've had my eye on a few! It's not like me to pick a small, delicate floral to wear but there's something about the subtlety of this I like; it's got quite a fresh, modern appeal. Liberty have been expanding their selection of base fabrics of late (I even spied some swimwear lycra on the Fabrics Galore Instagram account a few months back!) and this is their silk crepe de chine. It's pretty fine, verging on sheer but you can just about get away with it unlined for a top! It's quite matte for a crepe de chine which I really like. I managed to SQUEEZE it out of a metre but I was almost tempted to do the ruffle in an even more delicate chiffon or georgette.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

I was worried about how this silk might hold up to washing and sewing as it seems so delicate and I've had trouble with skipped stitches in silk crepes in the past. It gave me no troubles at all though; even the rolled hem foot loved it! I used a size 70 microtex needle and pre-washed it on a delicate cycle in my machine so I can machine wash the top and get lots of wear out of it! I pressed it on slightly higher than the usual cool iron for silk to get a nice crisp finish. Cutting was the trickiest part, as you'd probably expect with a slippery silk but I cut it out on the carpet, the grip of which I find helps reduce the shifting about and used lots of fine pins within the seam allowances to keep everything in place. From the way the top sits on me I'm pleased to report that I managed to get everything cut out on grain!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

I went all out with the slow and special techniques on this one as it's such a lovely piece of silk. In addition to what was instructed I under-stitched the neckline and french seamed the side and shoulder seams. The pattern comes with 1cm seam allowances and a less confident past me would have been tempted to increase them to 5/8" so those french seams were less fiddly but I'm really proud of how neat and tiny they are! I resorted to just pinking the neckline and armhole seams as I didn't want to create too much bulk in those areas and that finish is holding up well. I also pinked the ruffle seam as I wasn't sure how neat I could make a french seam along such a curved line. Perhaps I should have had more confidence in my skills but I'm happy as it is. There was no way this gorgeous silk was going under my tough old overlocker!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

I did a machine rolled hem on both the ruffle and the facing pieces. I had some slight issues getting across the french seam at the centre back of the facing piece as that bulk didn't want to neatly feed through the spiral of my rolled hem foot. I gave it a few attempts but in the end resorted to hand rolling an inch or so either side. The ruffle pieces I hemmed flat before they were assembled as its is so much easier to start and finish at an end rather than in the middle of a loop. If you are thinking about making this top it's worth bearing in mind that it would be really easy to stretch out the hem ruffle as it's two big curved pieces so be careful how you handle them.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

I chose not to interface the facing pieces as the silk was so fine and I was worried than even the lightest weight interfacing would effect the drape. I considered hand basting in silk organza but decided that had too much body for this kind of silk. I was then worried about the neckline stretching out and not sitting flat and looked into various tutorials for stabilising a neckline as my fail safe addition of twill/stay tape was going to be too heavy for this fabric. I found this great post from Gertie including three different techniques which I'll definitely be referring back to but in the end decided that the under stitching would do a good enough job of reinforcing that area. I'm really pleased with how this sits. The delicacy of the silk also led me to omit the zip. I was planning on using a lightweight invisible zip if necessary but tried sewing up my facing piece first to check the size of the neckline and voila it slipped right on over my head!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

An all in one facing is probably my favourite way to finish a neckline. I really don't enjoy fussing around with fiddly bias tape; for a delicate top like this I only like the look of that finish when it's really neat and slim but in a slippery silk that takes some real patience for me to achieve. Alternatively separate facing pieces have a tendency to flip out or cause the neckline to sit unevenly as you move about. By joining your armhole and neckline facings you're eliminating that problem and it's easier to handle too! The only thing that I don't like about it is that it makes under stitching both the armholes impossible because you can't get to the piece that you need. Luckily with a fabric that holds a press as well as this it's not a problem.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

I like the amount of ease in it and am happy with the fit apart from the armholes which seem a little roomy. There's a chance I might have stretched them out slightly as I sewed (as this is such delicate silk it was really tricky to handle around all those curves!) but I think sometimes it's easy to blame your sewing and really it's an alteration I need to address next time. I could easily just take a little out of the side seams under the arms, grading to nothing at the waist to resolve this or alternatively (as there is a little bit of excess fabric across the upper chest too) just try going down a size for a closer fit.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Liberty Spring Silhouette Print Silk Crepe de Chine Papercut Patterns Moana Top

I was warned before making this pattern up that it comes up very short as a top but I measured my pattern pieces and myself beforehand and decided it would be pretty much spot on on me and spot on it is! It's exactly how I envisioned it lengthwise and the curve of the hem is just lovely, that dip to the back really accentuates those ruffles. However, I am quite short waisted and petite to boot so I imagine on a lot of people it will come up a little tummy skimming. It hangs over the waistband of my favourite jeans just enough for me to feel comfortable about not exposing skin and its the length I usually like me tops to be at the back. I think the design is really well proportioned, the depth of the ruffle is spot on and the size the neckline is flattering. When I first put it on I did worry about the style accentuating the tummy and hips a bit but I've really warmed to it; just a new silhouette to get used too I suppose. I've been wearing it a lot with jeans for spring but I also really love it with a high waisted pencil skirt or maxi. It turned out exactly as I hoped and I'm glad I'm getting some wear out of this treasured piece of silk!

32 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. I usually don't like "frilly bits", but I am definitely warming to this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I feel exactly the same as you about 'frilly bits' so for me to pair that with a really feminine print too is quite out of character! But something about this feels quite modern

      Delete
  2. This is really lovely, Fiona. I love the delicate print on the silk paired with the soft, deconstructed femininity of this pattern. It's such a great duo and looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! you have such a lovely way with words! I love the romantic feel this has ended up having

      Delete
  3. This fabric is exceptional. It is truly beautiful. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are some really stunning prints in Liberty's latest few collections and I'm glad I took the plunge with this one!

      Delete
  4. That's a gorgeous top and The fabric is lovely. Will be very confortable for summer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has been! Keeps me very cool in the sunshine. I couldn't be more delighted with how the fabric has worked with this pattern

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty! I love the fabric and it suits the style so well. I recently made a sleeveless top where and the armhole was too big and gaping a little, and I fixed it by pinning an armhole dart in the muslin and then transferring it to the bust dart. It worked really well! I found the tutorial here: http://assets.burdastyle.com/pdf_files/assets/000/191/731/get-rid-of-a-gaping-armhole_original.pdf?1309472711

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O this is a fantastic tip thank you! That might well solve my problem. I was starting to think I needed to go down and size and do an FBA to maintain the ease in the front.

      Delete
  6. You officially made me want this pattern! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O hooray! That's the best kind of compliment! It's a great little top

      Delete
  7. You look amazing in this top and that fabric is stunning. I've also been worried about trying this pattern or patterns like it, thinking it may make me look bigger than I am, but seeing this and reading your thoughts... I think I'll give this silhouette a try. You look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O absolutely do give it a try, sometimes I think I shy away from certain shapes because of what we are told regarding particular shapes suiting particular body types but it's not necessarily true! It is a little different and has taking some getting used to but I feel so comfortable in it now!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! French seams on 1cm silk s.a. - I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thank you Francesca, I'm kind of impressed with myself! It just took some patience and actually working with such a special piece of silk made me want to slow right down and get it spot on

      Delete
  9. Your top turned out truly lovely. The fabric is a perfect match for the pattern and I love that you used it for a top you'd get much more wear out of as opposed to yet another pretty dress. The length is perfect on you and is a nice change from a tshirt. You've just made me add another pattern to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get around to making it up one day! I am planning on adding a few more dresses to my wardrobe this summer but tops are definitely the way to go for me at the moment as, as you say, if I'm being honest with myself I do get more wear out of them. Thank you for the lovely comment

      Delete
  10. This fabric is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the "up-close" photos to show the delicate details of the floral pattern. The timing of your post is perfect. I had recently tried on a similar top at a RTW shop (Banana Republic in the US) and was trying to figure out how to make my own version. The neckline of this top is more flattering than the top I tried on so I'm excited to hear you're pleased with the design. I look forward to giving it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O good! I hope you enjoy sewing it up and wearing it. I love it when I find inspiration in the shops but can then make my own exactly as I want it. I got a bit photo happy with this one and had to whittle them down but I couldn't resist lots of pictures of that lovely print and the beautiful design details!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful top, the fabric is gorgeous and really suits this kind of pattern to show it off. I find a roomier style difficult to pull off due to my shape but it looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should absolutely give roomier styles a second shot, I think it's all about the way they are cut and skim the body. I used to feel like I lost my waist in a roomier style because of the way things hung from my bust but that's not necessarily the case. I think with this top it's the proportion of that hem ruffle that gives it balance

      Delete
  12. What a lovely top, with beautiful, well thought out finishing techniques. I like your idea to try fitting the facing over your head when deciding whether or not you need a zip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine, I'm really proud of my finishing on this one. Must make more of an effort to think my techniques through on other garments now too!

      Delete
  13. Lovely Fiona. I really like this on you and the fabric is gorgeous. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags, I really like it too! I'm really pleased with how much wear I'm getting out of the garments I've made recently, like my handmade wardrobe is really coming together

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Sonja! I was a little concerned it might be a bit too girly for me but I love it!

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous silk print and your finishing is beautiful. I'm a big fan of Liberty's cotton lawn quality but had no idea they have ventured into silk. I live in Sweden, so that might explain why I'm late to this revelation!. How is the handle, is it "easy" to work with? "Easy" as in how it compares to other silk crepe de chine I mean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think printing on to different types of fabric has been happening all that long! I presume it's fairly tricky for you to get hold of Liberty prints over in Sweden? But I have noticed a lot more stockists over here in the UK recently so hopefully that will extend to you!
      It's a beautiful quality silk and I didn't have any unexpected trouble with it at all, not washing, sewing or pressing. I'd really recommend it!

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.