Saturday 30 September 2017

September Indie Pattern Update!



I said last month that it seemed like a quiet one and perhaps the indie pattern design community was ramping up to some big Autumn releases and that certainly seems to be the case. This month's post is a whopper, packed with some stunning new designs for the next season. Get your feet up, I'm going to dive right in.


New Patterns


  • The two new patterns released with the September edition of Seamwork Magazine were the Tessa Jeans (a classic cut with traditional details) and Alice Shirt (a fitted long sleeve tee). The member exclusive addition to these patterns this month was a tapered version of the jeans.
  • Afternoon Patterns released their Fern Shorts which are a high waisted, vintage inspired style. I love the wide cut of these combined with the turn up and waist tie.
  • The September releases from Style Arc included the Janie Blazer which is a casual double breasted style, the Luna Stretch Pants which feature side seam hem splits and the Patricia Rose Dress.
  • Deer & Doe launched their Autumn/Winter collection which along with a modernised update of their Bleuet Dress includes the Azara Skirt, Givre Dress & T-Shirt and maternity version of the Givre. I think I'm most drawn to the skirt as I like how the fullness is provided by those clever inserted panels.
  • New from Itch to Stitch is the Brasov Wrap Top. This is a really sophisticated and elegant design which would be flattering on a lot of figures. I love the soft curve of the draped wrap neckline. Kennis also released the North Point Trousers which would be a perfect pairing with their timeless tailored style.
  • Wear Lemonade released the Gloria Dress which is a super classy style with low back and pleated skirt. I can just picture this dress wafting around the streets of Paris!
  • In The Folds launched their latest free pattern collaboration with Peppermint Magazine. This time around a jumpsuit which I love the casual yet modern cut of especially with the wide tie belt.
  • I'm always excited about the launch of a new collection from Named and Earth Science does not disappoint. It consists of 8 patterns including two 2 in 1 designs and the clever seamwork and detailing I have come to expect from them is visible throughout. Check out the line drawings to fully appreciate them! I think the Gemma Maxi Dress and Sweater is my favourite with that pieced front but I actually feel like the Tierra Wrap Skirt could be a big winner in my wardrobe.
  • Friday Pattern Company released the Garamond Top and Cambria Duster PDF patterns. Garamond is a cute little cropped button up top for knits and Cambria is an effortlessly breezy and chic belted coat.
  • New from Pauline Alice is the Faura Dress & Top which is one of those designs I am instantly drawn to as I love an apparently simple style with interesting and clever details. The princess seams provide a bit of shape but there are little d-ring straps cinching in the waist too.
  • Released with the new edition of Sew Sew Def magazine were the Mimi and Levine patterns. Mimi is a batwing jersey dress with deep v neckline finished with a band and Levine is a slim fitting men's cargo pant with various panels creating interesting seam lines.
  • Designer Stitch released the Kristen Ruffle Dress. It's classic style with princess seamed bodice and flared skirt with on trend ruffled detail around the neckline, armholes and centre front.
  • One of my favourite releases of the month is the Lander Pant & Short from True Bias. A couple of years ago I would never have been out of my skinny jeans but nowadays I can't get enough of the contemporary feel of a cropped wide leg!
  • Sew Over It were busy this month with the launch of three new PDF patterns. Firstly we have the Phoebe Dress which is a kind of outfit in one with a blouse style bodice gathered into a fitted skirt. The other two are maternity patterns! The Lily Top features a double layered front with curved hem so it can grow to accommodate your bump. The Blossom Dress and Top is a v-neck wrap style which nips in under the bust to give you shape.
  • Wardrobe By Me released the Janis Boho Tunic. This design is all about the ruffles with a ruffled hem, three sleeve options and a round or v-neckline to choose from.
  • DG Patterns had three new releases this month; the Bahia Lounge Pants, Luise Tunic & Dress and the Abigail Dress & Top. Love the tulip sleeves and neckline cut out on Abigail.
  • Kommatia released a pattern for a t-shirt with contemporary cut, featuring a cap sleeve and bound crew neck. They posted a really gorgeous sample made up in velvet on Instagram. They are also offering a free mini skirt pattern to download over on their blog. A great way to try them out if you're new to the company.
  • The one pattern which found its way straight into my collection in September was the Lois Dress from Tessuti. Those classy clean lines are exactly what I need in my wardrobe and I've seen some really beautiful versions made up in a wide range of fabrics already.
  • The Tie Shirt is new from Sew Different. It's a longer length tunic style top with large tie feature across the hips at the front.
  • One of the most inspiring blogs I follow Jolies Bobines collaborated with I Katee Couture to launch the Elona Dress for both mother and daughter. The loose fitting style features a lightly gathered skirt and bodice which buttons off to one side with a little ruffle detail.
  • New from Boho Banjo is the Theodora Tunic and Zip Front Jacket pattern. As usual featuring some interesting draping and piecing with a dropped waist.
  • I had the pleasure of checking out the new Wild Collection from I Am Patterns in person at the Great British Sewing Bee Live show last weekend and was quite taken with a number of them. My favourite is the Zebre sweatshirt with wide sleeves gathered into the cuffs but the Colibri dungarees are also gorgeous.
  • Decades of Style released the Decades Everyday Chore Skirt. It's a full skirt in the style of the early 20th century, pleated into the waistband but with a flat front.
  • Liesl & Co are on a shirt pattern binge at the moment releasing the All Day Shirt pattern for men and the Recital Shirt pattern for women as well as a children's shirt under the Oliver & S label. They also launched the Chai Tee which is a simple cut featuring pleats into a shoulder yoke.
  • Finally I have a release from a pattern company new to me; Zierstoff Patterns. Their Amy Sweater features a cute wide roll collar and is suitable for knits and lightweight sweat-shirting.


Pattern Updates and Expansion Packs


  • The Tailoress is constantly updating and tweaking her patterns to make them the best they can be. This month the Libi Dress got an update and has been simplified with an improved fit and different cup sizes. Also improved were the Jersey Bra and Ellie Top
  • Jenny over at Cashmerette released the Upton Dress Sleeves Expansion Pack which includes three styles including cap, tie and flutter. The year of the sleeve continues!
  • Halfmoon Atelier updated their Delphy Ballet Top pattern and it now includes a dress variation as well as three lovely back views.


Sew-alongs




Upcoming!


  • Blue Dot Patterns are currently testing their next pattern which will be a pair of trousers.
  • Also deep in the testing process is Designer Stitch working on their upcoming Frida Tunic/Dress pattern.
  • Itch to Stitch are currently testing the Hvar Jacket. I'm always particularly impressed with Kennis's jacket patterns, she has a real eye for clean lines in tailoring.
  • There are a couple of new pattern companies set to launch soon. The first of which is Sew Knit Love with a collection of patterns including the Wingspan Wrap.
  • Also gearing up to launch next week are Pier and Palace Patterns. I've been very much enjoying the sneak peaks they've been posting on Instagram of their first patterns and am looking forward to seeing more.
  • How To Do Fashion are set to release their next pattern on Tuesday; a wrapped dress and skirt.
  • Ohhh Lulu talked about her upcoming release in her latest You Tube update and it looks like a great one. Delphine is a pattern for a high waisted thong with four views to choose from including more of a range style created with lace.
  • Octavia Patterns is all set to launch soon with their first pattern Pomegranate; a simple bias cut blouse with cowl neck and short kimono sleeves.
  • It certainly looks like October will be a busy month of new releases. Blank Slate Patterns have two new designs coming next week; the Valetta Top and Tillery Skirt which is a classic denim skirt in three lengths.


Other Exciting News


  • Back in August Joost from Make My Pattern launched freesewing.org. Every pattern on the site is free to download and they currently includes all the Make My Pattern designs as well as the brand new Sven Sweatshirt and block/sloper which the patterns are based on.
  • Nina Lee launched her first paper patterns this month! I was lucky enough to snap up a copy of her Kew Dress at the Great British Sewing Bee Live last weekend and can't wait to sew it up. The packaging and illustrations (done by Nina herself) are beautiful. 
  • Also at the GBSB Live were Maven Patterns launching their first collection of paper patterns! I was really impressed with their patterns, seeing the samples in the flesh. They've also just launched a handy app so you can check out all their pattern details and fabric requirements on the move.
  • After her incredibly successful Kickstarter campaign earlier this year the first batch of Gertie's Charm Patterns have been sent out to her backers. I love the first two vintage inspired designs and can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
  • Tilly and the Button's first book 'Love at First Stitch' is now available in French.


Phew! That was an absolute whopper this month! I hope you've all enjoyed the read. As usual if you have any news to add feel free to do so in the comments below. As usual here's a bit of inspiration from the online sewing community to get your October sewing off to a good start. Happy Sewing!




  • I've long had making a double gauze Almada Robe on my sewing list after making a silk version for a friend last year. Marie's beautiful version has seen it shoot straight up to the top of the queue again!
  • Katie's Lander Pants are absolutely spot on in every way. So contemporary and flattering. It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to try these out!
  • I spotted a version of Papercut's Adrift Skirt in a magazine a while back and it made me look twice at the pattern. Allie's gorgeous, bright version has firmly established it as something I MUST make.
  • Another sure fire choice for my fall wardrobe is the Lois dress from Tessuti and Sallie knocked it out of the park with the fabric choice for hers. Love the scale of that print and the richness of the colour.
  • I hadn't heard of Jyunstyle before but Julie brought them to my attention with a bang with her amazing teal linen version of their Toka Pants. Such a great colour and waistline.
SaveSave

19 comments:

  1. Amazing, as always! Thank you for all the work you do on the roundups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great monthly updates and the description of the patterns. I always look forward to the end of the month to read your summary!!
    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous summary as usual. I'm thinking of the Named Stella dress (I like the sleeves), the Pauline Alice Faura top maybe for spring though (Manju made a gorgeous version) but for you I think you would look great in the Lois dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had overlooked the Stella Dress Mags but I've seen some really lovely versions popping up, especially in bold prints it's very seventies which is very me! I am absolutely loving my Lois.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to this post every month. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Claire, so good to hear that it's enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. These posts must take such a lot of work - thank you, Fiona! Ridiculously stylish Sasha of Secondo Piano released a FREE t-shirt pattern the other day: http://www.secondopiano.space/blog/2017/9/29/basic-instinct-tshirt-pattern . (There's a free culottes pattern on her blog somewhere, too - bit tricky to track down but definitely still there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They take a while but I really do enjoy them Nina!
      Thanks very much for the link to the t-shirt, I've only just had time to look back through my comments so haven't updated the post but fingers crossed avid readers have clocked your comment anyway!

      Delete
  6. Great roundup! Thanks for keeping us up to date on what's happening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for doing these thorough Indie Pattern Update! I never buy PDF patterns but I made my first exception with Itch to Stitch - I just could NOT resist her latest Brasov Wrap top! It's just too perfect to resist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O how exciting! I hope you enjoy the experience. The taping can take some time but hopefully that one doesn't take too many pages. Its a gorgeous design

      Delete
  8. Thanks Fiona! You are a star 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an awesome list, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lynsey, glad you enjoyed the read

      Delete
  10. Also the Chestnut pattern by Ana from Coco wawa! Got it and it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O I hadn't spotted that! Thanks so much for brining it to my attention!

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.