Saturday 24 September 2022

Rust Red Tencel Twill Saguaro Set

I, like many others it would seem, loved the unique design of the Saguaro Set from Friday Pattern Company as soon as it was released. Fashionable secret pyjamas at their finest. I like that FPC designs always have a sense of fun to them. I did have a few doubts about how much I would enjoy wearing an outfit which flashed a bit of midriff as it’s not an area I love, but I’m pleased I took the plunge as this is cleverly drafted to sit in just the right spot so that I don't feel too exposed at all.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

I vary between sizes on the Friday Pattern Company size chart and technically am a small bust, medium waist and large hip. However, as the fit is relaxed and you can adapt the elastic to fit I went a bit rogue and simply cut the small top and medium trousers after looking at the amount of ease in the finished garment size. I'm generally happy with the fit overall but I feel like there is a tweak or two I could make which would mean I felt a bit more 'me' in it. 

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

I noticed Lauren slimmed down the width of the trousers slightly as well as reducing the length of the rise quite dramatically. We are a similar height and I didn't notice the length issues until I saw her post and looked at my photos. I didn't alter the length of either the top or trousers (I don't know why I didn't think about doing this as this is usually a standard alteration for me and solves 90% of fit problems) and this would definitely make a difference. I should have made a toile...

Also the trouser length is intended to be slightly cropped. However, on 5ft 3 me before hemming they just about skimmed the floor...and I think I actually preferred them that length! As I needed to use a bit for the hem I think I've now ended up at some weird no-man's-land between full length and cropped. I might try going a little shorter. I also think shortening the sleeves will suit me a bit better proportionally. I will report back! 

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

The fabric is a tencel twill in a gorgeous rich rusty red colour. It is a fantastic weight for this outfit. It has enough substance to it to work for trousers without feeling thin and revealing but yet is light enough to work for the top. It has a gorgeous liquid drape too and a luxurious sheen. It is so smooth and cool to wear against the skin. Lovely. It is the Pigeon Wishes tencel twill which I believe is stocked at Sew Me Sunshine amongst other places.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

The fabric does mark quite easily from pressing (it gets that shiny look) so I had to be very careful when pressing the binding flat around the neckline. Also, along with any other tencel twills I have sewn and worn, it does show up any water marks or sweat so I don’t find it ideal for wearing on really hot days. Other than that it was lovely to work with and I can see tencel becoming one of my go-to fabrics to use for garments which require fluid movement.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

The instructions were great and included all the necessary tips to achieve a good finish such as under-stitching the pocket openings. I like that the pockets aren't in-seam pockets but rather hip pockets with a diagonal opening. I find these sit much better and stay in place when filled with stuff. 

I love a bias facing to finish a neckline, it looks clean, neat and professional. I'm really chuffed with how this one has turned out. The neckline is quite deep. It sat really nicely actually without any tweaks but I did feel a little bit too exposed for everyday wear so have added a stitch a couple of inches up from the bottom band. I know a few people have increased the front overlap slightly for a touch more modesty so I might try that if I make the top again.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

The wide elastic waistbands are really comfortable and I actually really like how they look once topstitched. You could leave out the drawstring in the trousers as obviously the elastic holds them up without it but aesthetically this is a nice detail. I think this project would be great for an advancing beginner as it is something a bit different and interesting to sew plus there are quite a few techniques to try out but the fitting required is limited given the relaxed fit and elastic bands.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Friday Pattern Company Saguaro Set in Tencel Twill

I must admit that this outfit has less wear than I hoped this summer. I think partly because I haven't got the fit quite right as discussed earlier but also because I haven't had the right occasions to wear it (it does feel a tad too fashion forward for walking the dog!). I think this ensemble as a whole would get more wear on a holiday. But I might just need to take a look in my wardrobe and see what other garments I could pair the two items with individually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.