Saturday 5 August 2023

Showerproof Waver Jacket

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I made this jacket back in about April. I didn't expect it to be getting quite as much wear during this very wet summer here in the UK! I was in need of a practical jacket for walking the dog when it was wet but not that chilly. I absolutely adore my Kelly Anorak for winter but I lined the whole thing in cosy wool flannel so for damp spring walkies it gets a bit too warm. While I'm on the subject, I just realised I made my Kelly over 5 years and after a lot of wear it's still going strong. It must be one of my most worn garments so definitely worth all the effort I put into making it. 

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

For this project I wanted something slightly more simple that I could throw on when it looks like there might be a chance of a shower. I'd bought the Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket pattern in their big sale when they rebranded a while ago. I think it is now unfortunately discontinued but you can still pick up a printed version here and there. I came across it in my pattern stash and decided it would fit the bill nicely. 

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I paired the pattern with this showerproof cotton/nylon from The Fabric Store and opted for a fun lining which I picked up from the Lady McElroy stand at the Stitch Festival back in the spring. Both fabrics were great to work with. With the outer fabric I wasn't actually sure which side was the right side - one has the shiny showerproof coating and the other has a matte, woven finish. I preferred the look of the matte side so went with that as I figured the waterproof coating would stop the water getting through to my clothes underneath whichever way it was. Having looked at the listing again I think I actually got it the wrong way round but it works! I was a little worried about ironing this fabric with the plasticky coating but just pressed the matte side only and as that is a cotton it worked out great. No shiny patches or melting!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I cut the straight size small and am pleased with the fit. I usually grade out to a medium at the hip with Papercut Patterns but looking at the finished measurements I didn't need to. I've always liked that my Kelly wasn't too roomy around the seat. I don't like my jackets and coats to be too oversized especially when I need to be able to do practical things on a dog walk so I'm pleased that it is fairly neat but still has room for a jumper underneath (which I was wearing earlier in AUGUST!).

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I deliberated for a while over whether to make the short or long length. There are some really beautiful long versions on Instagram but ultimately I went for the short as Ruby's walks tend to be fairly energetic (she's a zoomies queen!) and I didn't want fabric getting in the way around my legs. I might have been a bit drier with the longer length but this is better suited for drizzle and light showers anyway. The short length is quite short, I'm 5ft 3 and it's about right on me straight out of the packet. I left out the drawstring/elasticated waist to keep it straight.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

Amongst the many things I have learned over four years of dog ownership, one tip is that you can never have too many pockets on a dog walk. The patch pockets on the front of the Waver are nice and roomy but I opted to add side seam pockets too. I simply used the pocket piece from another pattern and positioned them as low as I could without the bottom of the bag interfering with the hem. I chose to use the outer fabric of the jacket for the pockets rather than the lining as I often shove a handful of dog treats in my pocket before a walk and the oil can seep out into the fabrics if left in there. My Kelly has a bit of a greasy mark on it now! Hopefully the waterproof nature of this fabric will prevent stains a bit better.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I did consider trying a technique I haven't used before - seam sealing tape to prevent water getting through the seams. I went on the hunt for some at The Stitch Festival but to no avail. However, I'm actually pleased I didn't invest in some as the style of this coat isn't actually great for any rain heavier than a light shower... The centre front neckline is quite open so water gets in there pretty easily and the cuffs are wide too. I adore the shape of the hood and how the crispness of this fabric emphasises the shape and makes it stay up nicely - however it doesn't sit very close to the head or face so isn't helpful when it is blowing a gale! Also a waterproof coat needs a full zip fastening at the front - water can also get in between the fasteners. The pattern is actually designed to close with buttons but I switched them out for metal snaps. The fabric holds up against the rain so far and the cotton content means it doesn't get too sweaty so I'm sure I'll get plenty of wear out of it still. 

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I don't have a huge amount to say about the construction of the jacket as my memory is a bit hazy a few months on from making it. I don't remember there being any surprises in the way things came together and it was an enjoyable sew. It was really quick to make for a jacket, even with the full lining. 

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket in Showerproof Cotton Blend from The Fabric Store

I think outerwear might be my favourite type of garment to make. There are usually lots of little details to get stuck into and a lot of variety in techniques and practicalities. Next on my outerwear list is a workwear style jacket in a fun colour like pink or green. I want a reasonably lightweight jacket which I can wear with denim jumpsuits and jeans - all I have at the moment is my Hampton Jean Jacket (another of my all time favourites and top of the 'most worn' list) and that plus denim jumpsuit is a bit too much denim for me! One day I'll invest some time and attention into making a fully waterproof dog walking coat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.