Tuesday 30 June 2015

June Indie Pattern Update!


The arrival of some real proper heat and sunshine in London this week has got me really inspired to sew up a whole new summer wardrobe! I've been working with a lot of breezy cottons and silks this month and colourful summer prints have been catching my eye. Those of you in the southern hemisphere must be looking forward to changing up your sewing for winter too! There's plenty of new patterns to choose from this month if you're looking to add to your collection anyway!


New Pattern Companies


  • Charlotte from English Girl At Home has just released her very first pattern the Lou Lou Dress. It's a sleeveless a-line dress with three views including options for contrast panels and colour blocking. I love her sample of View B with the sheer polkadot hemline! 


New Patterns

  • Sew Over It released the latest in their line of classic designs; the Vintage Shirt Dress. I had the pleasure of testing this pattern and have been getting so much wear out of my cotton lawn version now summer has arrived in London! They also released the PDF version of the pattern from their tie kit.
  • Technically this happened back in May but it slipped through the net in last month's update so I thought I should include it here! Hey June Patterns released the Biscayne Blouse which has a relaxed fit and features a hidden button placket.
  • The new pattern from Tilly and the Buttons is the Agnes Top. It's a close fitting design for knits and features various neckline and sleeve options to mix and match. 
  • After the popularity of her Marlborough Bra pattern and lingerie sewing book I was very excited to spot that Norma from Orange Lingerie released a new bra pattern this month, the Boylston Bra. I did decide in January that sewing lingerie was one of the things I wanted to try this year so maybe I should give this a whirl...
  • Style Arc's new patterns this month included the Veronica Vest, Eddie Woven Pant, Ethel Designer Pants and Top, Ricki Top and the Marlo Knit Top which was this month's freebie with every purchase.
  • Aime Comme Marie released several new patterns this month! There are four shirt/shirtdress patterns (including one for men!), a jumpusit, a romper and a skirt. I think my favourite is the Metropolitan jumpsuit with the strappy bodice, I've got them on the brain at the minute! They've also updated their packaging, using different paper and a new format.
  • I love the design of both the new patterns from Pauline Alice. The Sorell Trousers are so Katherine Hepburn with their high waist, wide legs and masculine design details. I wish I had long enough legs to look elegant in them! The Xerea Dress is a shift which looks like it would be perfect for beginners or to showcase a spectacular fabric.
  • Jalie released some really cute sportswear related patterns. I'm really drawn to the style lines of the Anne-Marie tennis/cycling dress despite not playing tennis! 
  • There have been a couple of swimsuit pattern releases this month; it's so exciting to have such a variety of swimsuit styles to choose from now if you are considering sewing your own! The first was the Maison Fleur 8101 Halterneck Swimsuit which grabbed my attention straight away as I flicked through my blog roll. It has three variations and features side seam ties.
  • The second swimsuit release if from Seamstress Erin; the Nautilus Swimsuit. The twist detail on the front is lovely and I love that it comes with pattern pieces for a variety of cup sizes. You have the option of making a one piece or a bikini with different styles of bottoms and straps.
  • Compagine M released the Nina Skirt and Culottes pattern at the end of May. It's a simple a-line skirt pattern with the option to turn it into culottes.
  • Megan Nielsen treated us to a FREE pattern download! Named the Veronika Skirt it is a full circle skirt which can be made up in a knit or woven fabric and with or without beautiful scallop-edged pockets.
  • Maria Denmark released the Rachel Wrap Dress. It's a classic design to be sewn up in a soft jersey and is a flattering style for all body types.
  • The latest Closet Case Files pattern is the Sallie Jumpsuit and Maxi Dress. It's designed to be made from super comfortable knits and looks to be a fairly straightforward sew. Plus the muse behind this pattern is the super stylish Sallie Oh who never fails to inspire me! I'm definitely seeing a couple of versions of this in my summer wardrobe! 
  • By Hand London's new dress is a real simple stunner. Zeena features a relaxed fit bodice with kimono sleeves and pleated skirt. I tested for the girls again and have already made two in some amazing fabrics I've had stashed for a while which I can't wait to share with you later in the week!
  • Steph from Cake Patterns is back with the first half of her new Tidepool collection! This first release features the Pipi Shell, Janthina Shell and Endeavour Trousers and Shorts which feature a really cute sailor style front fastening option.
  • Sarah from Ohhh Lu Lu has just released a whole collection of new lingerie and loungewear patterns. Vintage inspired but with a modern twist I'm literally drooling over all of them! I think my favourites are the Emma Romper and and Josephine Bralette. I need to stock up on some silk...

Sew-alongs


Upcoming!


Other Exciting News

  • As well as releasing their Vintage Shirt Dress the new 'Sew Over It Vintage' book from Lisa Comfort was launched this month! The book instructs you how to use your own measurements to draft patterns for a whole range of projects which is an approach that really interests me.
  • Katie from Papercut Patterns has been busy working through her pattern catalogue and releasing some older patterns as downloadable PDFs. This month's additions to the PDF collection are the Bellatrix Blazer, Ensis Tee and Meissa Blouse.
  • A selection of Colette Patterns are now available with downloadable instructions in German, Spanish or Italian along with the French instructions that were already available. Check out their site to find out which.
  • Alongside her new Agnes Top Tilly has released an online workshop 'Learn to Sew Jersey Tops'. It's aimed at people who are new to sewing knits and want to use a regular machine. Spoiler alert...despite having a fair few knit projects under my belt now I'm currently trying it out and loving it!
  • It's been a busy month for Heather Lou from Closet Case Files as she relaunched her patterns with a number of changes including an expanded size range (now covering sizes 0-20), french translations, a regraded Bombshell Swimsuit and some slight tweaks to the Ginger Jeans.
  • Straight Stitch Designs launched their Stitch Kits which include all the supplies you need to sew up one of their patterns including beautiful fabrics from the Art Gallery Collection.
  • Kate & Rose Patterns had a sale to celebrate their paper patterns being back in stock. They all now have new re-branded instructions.
  • Waffle Patterns released a new free customise option for their Blouson Jacket pattern to make it into a hoodie. I love the idea of these 'add-on' packs that mean you can get a lot more out of patterns you already own and make an almost entirely different garment.
  • Thread Theory are currently having a 25% sale to celebrate moving into their new studio! Orders won't be shipped until they are settled back in on July 6th but it's the perfect opportunity to do some selfless sewing!
  • The Lakeside Pyjamas and Maritime Shorts from Grainline Studio are now available in print format. I've long been tempted by that shorts pattern...
  • Sarah from Ohhh Lulu has started a YouTube channel featuring video demos of various techniques. If you're tempted to take the plunge into sewing lingerie with her new patterns this could be really useful!

As always let me know in the comments or send me an email if you can think of anything I might have missed...it's impossible to keep track of everything that's going on nowadays! To finish up here's your monthly dose of indie sewing inspiration. Funnily enough many garments that have grabbed me this month have been made by indie designers from other designer's patterns...love that! Keep sharing yours with me on Instagram and Twitter with #indiesewing


  • Pauline has such a great sense of glamorous style and she looks so amazing in her maxi version of BHL's Flora Dress. Love those earrings too!
  • Sometimes you just can't beat a classic black dress and Heather Lou is looking the epitome of chic in her black linen Lonsdale. I must dig out my own black version immediately!
  • I adore Megan's midi length version of her Tania Culottes pattern. The fabric is an absolutely perfect choice for them and the style suits her so well.
  • Morgan from Thread Theory made the most gorgeous feminine Kim Dress as part of her Spring Wardrobe project. She used some of the By Hand London printed fabric and it holds the shape so well.
  • Inna's second version of the Jessica Dress from Style Arc suits her so well! I love the way the stripes of the fabric work with the twist front of the design.

7 comments:

  1. I'd missed some of these which is why I love this monthly roundup! Thanks for keeping us up to speed. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Evie! Hope you find something you like!

      Delete
  2. Lovely month of June! Indie designers have released so many cool patterns! I feel tempted by both Pauline Alice's patterns, Maison Fleur's swimsuits, the Rachel Wrap dress to name a few! Sigh. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking as I typed it out that that was a long list of new patterns this month! I'm definitely tempted by the Maison Fleur swimsuit too and can really see you in those Pauline Alice patterns!

      Delete
  3. i too had missed them - thanks Fiona! I can't tell your height but it's all about proportion - you don't have short legs, so why not the Sorell? Seriously? Even though I have to admit I see you more as the Audrey Hepburn look - in narrow black slightly cropped pants - add one of your cute knit tops (stripes?) and a pony tail, and wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey Hepburn is a bit of an icon of mine so I'm very happy that you think that! Black slim cropped trousers have been on my to sew list for a while...I just need to conquer trouser fitting! Maybe with the Sorell I just need to woe out a good fit too and choose the right top to balance them out...

      Delete
    2. I think anyone can wear wide fitting pants except perhaps extreme apples like my sis. When someone is trim, like you, even more so - I think the key is a fitted top. And definitely cropped jackets if one wears a jacket - long ones will just look 90s gone wrong... Try pants, I actually made one of my very few muslins for Colette's Juniper (which i adore and have made 3 of) and found they were a perfect fit straight away! And once you've conquered so much difficult stuff - viz that jacket you just made! - you should have no problems with pants fitting... ultimate trousers from Sewoverit are apparently really nice as a slim pant (but according to what I've read, big bottom friendly, which you're not) - and Colette's are so cute too. When you made that gorgeous little black dress I immediately thought - Audrey! She even has the right fringe!

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.