Sunday 5 June 2016

Striped Brightside Shrug

I'd like to introduce you to the quickest, most satisfying thing I've ever made! If you're ever in one of those moods where you just need a speedy, gratifying project to make you feel good because you've made and accomplished something this is the garment for you!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

A little while back Brighton based Wendy from MIY Collection contacted me to see if I'd like to try one of her kits, specifically the one including pattern, fabric and thread for sewing up the Brightside Shrug. I'd long been meaning to try out one of Wendy's patterns (and had in fact been severely eyeing up the Longley Draped Waterfall Cardigan at the Knitting and Stitching Show last year!) so jumped at the opportunity. I actually had it sewn up a matter of days after the parcel arrived but the last few months have been so chaotic with moving, holidays and working away from home a lot I've only just got around to taking pictures. At least it means I've had a good bit of wear out of it so when I say it's comfy, useful and the fabric wears well you can believe me!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

It arrived in such a beautiful little parcel and the whole thing had a real personal, handmade feel to it. It would be a great gift for someone who wants to learn to sew or has just bought their first machine. The pattern is printed on standard weight paper (I know some people prefer tissue and I very much like that for more complex patterns but for something simple like this I like the sturdier paper, especially if using pattern weights not pins. The instructions are printed into an A4 colour booklet, nice and big and clear to read with bold illustrations.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

As I was saying, it's the fastest thing I've ever made! Including cutting it was about an hour and a half total. The shrug itself is one large piece, folded in half and sewn up to create sleeves. The long raw edge next to the body is finished with a band, as are the cuffs and you're done! It was kind of fascinating to me that interesting clothing can be made up so quickly and simply and it's got me intrigued about what can be achieved by draping a few pieces of fabric.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

As it's a knit you don't even need to finish the raw edges but I like to keep things looking as professional as possible on the insides so whilst I sewed it up with a narrow zig zag stitch on my regular machine (with a ball point needle) I finished everything with black thread on my overlocker. As the fabric is a loopback terry knit it does shed little pieces everywhere when cut so I'm pleased I had the option of overlocking.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

There are three sizes and I cut the smallest one despite being on the cusp of two as I prefer my clothes fairly fitted and it's described as a 'fairly loose fitting style'. I'm really happy with how this hugs my shoulders but as the fabric that comes with the kit is quite stable without a huge amount of stretch I perhaps could have gone bigger for a more exaggerated drape and shape across the back.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

The only thing I'm not 100% sold on now it's finished is the fabric itself, but that's just personal choice about what I'd most like to wear. There are three colours to choose from and I'm happy I went with a stripe as I like the way that these work with the band and cuffs but I think it's the drape that's bugging me most. It's a thick cotton rich french terry in a sweatshirt weight so it has quite a but of body and creates quite 'full' folds which does work for the garment but isn't quite what I had in mind. It is top quality and washes up lovely and actually the stability of it makes it very easy to handle so that's great for the beginner that I think the kit is aimed at. I was really taken with the texture of the loopback of the fabric and almost used it wrong side out!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

While I was sewing it I was unsure about whether this type of shrug was really my style but since making it I have found a whole heap of garments in my wardrobe that this style is perfect to throw over. Made up in the thicker knit that comes with the kits I think it's more of a winter weight but I'm thinking about making one up in a lighter weight, softer knit (possibly a linen since I made my Bowline Sweater and discovered how gorgeous it is to wear!). I'd also consider making it in a size up in a more drapey knit for a more slouchy and relaxed feel so I can wear it over all my summer dresses to take the edge off the mornings and evenings.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

I'd highly recommend this pattern for a beginner seamstress or a newbie to knits. There are only three pattern pieces, not much to worry about in the way of fit but it's a great way to practice adding bands and cuffs and it you wanted to push yourself you could play around with pattern placement quite easily. The instructions are really thorough too for such a simple garment and include a couple of pages on how to work with knits and cut your fabric. Thanks Wendy for giving me the opportunity to try out one of your patterns...I'm off to see what else you've got in your shop!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: MIY Collection Brightside Shrug in Striped Grey French Terry

8 comments:

  1. i looked at the website for the information relating to the shrug and found it lacking in details. is the pattern available without the kit? what are the available sizes comprised of? the picture that's shown seems very drapey and longer in the back while yours seems shorter and snugger. which is true? there are no style lines on the website which would clarify the construction. are the edges meant to be unfinished, serged or folded back and topstitched or what? the shrug looks great but the company really needs to get their information out there.

    on the good side, you look terrific in it and i think you chose the right color for your complexion. the stripes make it very interesting and i can see all kinds of possibilities, like chevrons, if you add a center back seam. color blocking would be a nice iteration as well. be sure and show us the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, the pattern is also available just as a paper pattern or Pdf. Here's a link to the paper one with full details on sizing & line drawings. Construction details on how to sew knits are also in the pattern.
      Wendy

      Delete
    2. Here's that link this time! http://www.miycollection.com/collections/sewing-patterns-paper/products/brightside-shrug-pattern

      Delete
    3. thank you. just the information i was hoping for. the bust is small for me, but the pattern would be easy to grade up by slashing and spreading as many times as necessary. i hope mine will be as nice.

      Delete
  2. I've always been intrigued with trying a shrug. I really like yours and I might try it. As always, you did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a satisfying and quick thing to make Kathy I'd definitely give it a whirl! I'm seriously considering a lightweight one to carry round with me this summer

      Delete
  3. thanks for the sewing tips, as usual! It looks good on you, but sadly I think you're right, the fabric is not quite right for this style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can be the right fabric depending on what type of shrug you are looking for, just personally I think I'd prefer something of a lighter weight and drape. Thanks!

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.