As the circles in the pattern are laid out fairly regularly in stripes I did consider for quite some time making the effort to match up the pattern at the seams but as it was such a detailed pattern I thought this might be quite difficult to get right, and would require more of my scant metre of fabric. In the end I decided the detail of the pattern made it random enough to get away with not matching, but did try to line up the rows and looking at the side seam in the picture above I think i got away with it!
The invisible zip again went in like a dream using my lovely new invisible zip foot. If I were to make this again I would like to work on my construction of the tab closure feature at the back of the waist. I think this time I managed to get a crisper square edge to the tab but it still doesn't naturally line up quite right where it overlaps the other end of the waistband. I think this is to do with not being accurate enough with my seam allowances when creating the tab and then attaching the waistband to the skirt. It's just a couple of millimetres and not that obvious when fastened but I know it's not quite right and it bugs me!
I used a big popper to fasten the tab again and because this fabric has a bit more body than the denim for my first version the end of the tab doesn't lie quite flat. I might change it to two smaller poppers nearer the corners to hold it down more effectively.
I'm really pleased with the extra work I put in on the insides. I find it so satisfying when I know it's all been done as best it can be! I used a hong kong/bound seam finish with some bought black bias tape (I haven't quite got the patience to make enough bias tape to be finishing seams!) Doesn't it look lovely with the black and white fabric? I've tried various different methods of transferring pattern markings to my fabric recently and think out of everything I prefer the traditional old tailors chalk and tailor's tacks to mark the points of the darts. Accurate, simple and effective. your can still see my pink chalk marks for the dart legs in the pic below!
I was tempted to just turn and machine stitch the hem but this time I put in the time with the hand stitching. I found some perfect black and white grosgrain ribbon in my stash to edge the hem with and love the finished look. I machine stitched this to the outside of the raw edge of the skirt, pressed it inwards and slip stitched around. It did take an episode of 'The Walking Dead' to do so and another episode for slip stitching the waistband down, but it's quite therapeutic I find! (the hand-stitching, not 'The Walking Dead'...)
By Hand London announced the other day that the Elisalex dress sewalong will be starting on 11th March. I've got pattern and fabric ready and can't wait! They also gave a little sneaky peak of their next pattern release; I can't wait for that either!
I'm off to swan about like a lady in my lovely new skirt now! Have a good start to the week everyone!