I wasn't yet sure what fabric I wanted to make this in, probably a lightweight printed cotton similar to my first. Then when out and about shopping for work one day I came across this remnant of black hammered silk at a bargain price in Biddle Sawyer Silks on Berwick Street. I knew instantly the type of top I wanted it to be and thought the Scout Tee pattern might be just the place to start. After making my alterations for a slightly looser fit all I really needed to do was create the dip hem which I simply drew on by eye. I didn't want too extreme a dip so just made it 2 inches longer at it's lowest point. I'm pretty happy with this aspect of it as it means I can still tuck it in if I want to.
Anyway, I think that's nit picking!
I expected this fabric to be a complete nightmare to work with and while the cutting was a little difficult it wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be in my head and for some reason my machine absolutely loved this stuff! Maybe it was something to do with the hammered texture helping it to get a grip but it just glid through with no slipping and sliding about.
The fabric for this project was the perfect opportunity for me to try out a new technique and a new little gadget for my machine! After the success I had with the invisible zip foot I bought last month I got the bug and treated myself (or rather my Janome) to a rolled hem foot after watching some very helpful YouTube clips on how to use them. It wasn't quite the success of the zip foot but still had me squealing! I need a little more practice to get used to how much fabric to feed into the magical turning part of the foot as in some places I gave it too much to cope with and there are some raw edges poking out but it got better as I went along! Just look at how narrow and professional looking that hem is! I think hemming this slippery silk along the curve of the dipped hem would have been an absolute nightmare without it. I also used a rolled hem on the sleeves.
I found the neckline the most difficult part of this project. I really liked the bias tape facing on my first version so decided to stick with it on this. I had an inkling that making bias take with the slippery hammer silk was going to be a nightmare and considered using bought bias tape as an easier alternative. But the cotton bias tape was much stiffer than the silk and I wanted to keep the soft drape throughout so gritted my teeth and went for making my own. The actual making of the tape wasn't too bad thanks to my trusty bias tape making tool and a hot iron. Attaching it was not so straight forward. I used soooo many pins to put this in and still it was impossible to keep nice and straight and even. I did the best I could and think the end result is ok but it does sit away from the body at points and shows a bit of a twist whereas my first version sits nice and flat all the way round.
(apologies if you can't make out a lot of the construction details in this post. Black, particularly this shiny black is so hard to photograph!)