Saturday 11 April 2020

TNT Patterns

I needed a little break from sewing up scrubs for the NHS (if you'd like to volunteer your time to do so too then please take a look at the For the Love of Scrubs group on Facebook to find the co-ordinator for your area and more information) so turned to my ultimate sewing palette cleanser, the Ogden Cami from True Bias. It might seem a little nuts to take a break from sewing with more sewing but I just felt like I needed to sew something that wasn't scrubs for a moment and a quick and satisfying project which I'd made multiple times before fit the bill perfectly.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns Ogden Cami

As I was sewing it up I was listening to the recent Love To Sew Podcast episode about TNT patterns and it got me thinking about what other patterns I turn to again and again. Either because they are so versatile, get worn so much or are a great blank canvas for pattern hacking. I'm sure many of you like me are turning to both fabric and pattern stashes for inspiration at the moment while we can't get out and about to shop and may be working with a reduced income. So I thought I'd share these trusty pattern favourites with you in the hope that you'll share yours too and perhaps in dong so inspire me to revisit some patterns I already own.

Tops


Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

As I've already mentioned the Ogden Cami from True Bias is a pattern I've turned to again and again. I've lost track of the number of these tops I've made. It works out great in so many different fabrics. I used leftover linen from my Cielo Top for my most recent version but I've also used rayon, silk, velvet and cotton broderie. I've also lengthened the pattern into a dress and hacked it to have a square neckline and centre front button placket. I can sew one up including cutting in about an hour and a half so whenever I need a quick boost to the sewing mojo this is an ideal candidate.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

Also from True Bias, the Nikko Top and Dress is my winter wardrobe staple. It has a lovely neat, modern fit with a perfectly proportioned turtleneck and again can be sewn up in an hour or so. I've made a couple of sleeveless versions, plus a sleeveless dress but my most worn garments are the long sleeved tops sewn up in merino jersey or a ribbed cotton knit (seen below with the Evie Bias Skirt).

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

Another winter wardrobe staple is the Mandy Boat Tee from Tessuti. It took me a while to get around to sewing up this popular free pattern download as I've never felt quite comfortable in loose fitting tops like this. But the slim sleeves and boat neck of this perfectly balance the amount of fabric around the body and it has become a firm favourite in my wardrobe.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

The Emmeline Tee from Little Tailoress is a pattern I first made years ago but have found myself sporadically returning too time and time again. My first versions were made up in solid and patterned silks but my most worn version is in baby pink rayon. I recently used this pattern as a base for the hand sewn beaded overlay of my bridesmaids dress, simply cropping it and tweaking the construction to work with the fabric. I have another version planned with buttons and loops fastening across the shoulder seam.

Trousers

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

The Flint Trousers from Megan Nielsen are my all time favourite trouser pattern. The first pair of these I made were in a plain black thick but soft twill and I still live in them three years later. They see me through all seasons and seem to pair so well with multiple items in my wardrobe. They are so comfortable yet I always feel put together and somewhat stylish while wearing them. The checked linen shorts I've made from this pattern (pictured above with the Ogden Cami) are a summer favourite and I also made a chambray pair of the trousers which got cut off into shorts when I spilled ink on them! I most make another pair of the trousers to replace them.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

Also from Megan Nielsen (her trousers just seem to work for me!) the Dawn Jeans have become my go to jeans pattern. I love the classic high rise and all the traditional jeans details. The fit is fantastic and the instructions are just as good. Plus the pattern includes four variations of leg styles. I've made shorts and straight leg jeans so far and have a pair of cropped wide leg cut out and ready to sew. Also on the wish list are a pair in heavy coloured linen.

Jumpsuits/Dresses


Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

The Zadie Jumpsuit from Paper Theory kind of surprises me as an entry on this list as I think of it as less of a 'basics' pattern than some of the others. I guess the uniqueness of the design makes me think of it as something you wouldn't necessarily want to make over and over again yet I can't get enough of these in my wardrobe! My first version in striped blue cotton was hands down my most worn garment of the year last year and I recently made a sleeved version in tencel twill which has a completely different vibe. I'm currently working on one in a gorgeous burnt orange silk/linen blend and have plans to make a short version for summer.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

I've made the Turia Dungarees from Pauline Alice twice and whilst I don't see myself making them again (how many pairs of dungarees do I really need in my wardrobe?!) these two get endless amounts of wear in the summer months. They are so practical and comfortable, especially made up in linen and for me they are just the right amount of relaxed.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

It is interesting to me that no dress patterns really sprang to mind as TNT patterns for this post. I definitely think the dresses section of my wardrobe needs more work! My pink knit version of the Inari Tee Dress from Named Clothing is one of my favourite dresses and is very easy to wear. I think this could be a good candidate for repeat makes! The Deer & Doe Myosotis Dress and Sewaholic Lonsdale Dress are also designs I've made more than one of.

Skirts


Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

Just the one pattern for this category as I find myself wearing trousers and jump-suits more and more often over the last couple of years. The Evie Bias Skirt from Tessuti was an absolute winner for me the first time I made it. It is chic and simple and so easy to dress up or down and carry through the season with layering. I've made one in a burgundy polkadot crepe and another in a bold floral stain back crepe so far but there will definitely be more in the future.

Layering


I found this category quite tricky as there are SO many outerwear patterns I just adore but have only made once as they are quite lengthy, fabric and notions heavy projects which you don't really need more than one of in your wardrobe. What I do need a lot of though are sweaters and cardigans!

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

I have worn my black merino sweat shirting version of the Toaster Sweater #2 from Sew House Seven so much it is completely falling apart. My maroon version actually did fall apart and I recently replaced it with a warm coffee coloured marl merino double knit. These are all I need sweater-wise all year round.

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

I've made the MIY Collection Longley Cardigan a couple of times for myself but also a couple of times for others too! This is a great pattern to make for other people as the sizes are fairly broad (I think just S-XL covering a number of dress sizes each) and you don't need to be pernickety about fit. It is a great basic but still interesting with that waterfall front. My favourite spring/summer outfit is actually a pair of Flint Trousers, with an Ogden Cami and a Longley Cardigan layered on top.

Sportswear

Diary of a Chain Stitcher: TNT Patterns

I haven't made a huge amount of sportwear but I absolutely adore the Sewaholic Pacific Leggings and have made at least four pairs of them now! My first pair were made over four years ago and with a few repairs are still going strong now. The waistband sits really comfortably and they suit all kind of activities. I've made the long length and the cropped but am yet to get particularly creative with the colour blocking opportunities those style lines provide...perhaps that should be next on the list!

I've really enjoyed thinking this through and mulling over pattern hacks and fabric combinations to fill gaps in my wardrobe. When a pattern works for you why make anything else?! Thanks for the inspiration Helen and Caroline...a fair few of my choices were on your lists too! Are any of my choices on your list too? I'd love to know what your TNT patterns are.

4 comments:

  1. Every time I see your zadie jumpsuit I want to make one! I love the Tilly and the Buttons Freya top, it’s so great for hacking and I’ve now made five pairs of the Papercut Patterns Anima pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both great suggestions thank you! I haven't tried either! The Anima pants look comfy and just the thing I want to be wearing at home right now!

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed this post, and lots of my favorite patterns are on it! I made a Vogue 9253 this fall and LOVE it (after I played around with the "very deep V", adjusting the bust pleats and a crossover on my toile). I made it in an African print which was so. Much. Fun! Now I'd like to try it in rayon, handkerchief linen and... But I really don't wear that many dresses... but it feels so good on...
    So many patterns, and so little sewjo right now... Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo Vogue 9253 has been on my list of possible projects for a while now! You've tempted me to take the plunge! Handkerchief linen sounds glorious

      Delete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.